Each autumn one of my biggest projects is for the Wisconsin Lutheran State Teachers’ Conference. It’s a 2-day event in October, for which I design two pieces: a 36-40 page program for online registration and a 60-64 page booklet for a conference handout.
I call this an autumn project, but actually it starts much earlier. Way back in April, I met with Kris Snyder, coordinator for the conference, and together we began our planning. Kris is a great project manager and here’s the schedule she held us to—not an easy task when “us” is a large group of people, including workshop presenters, devotion leaders and business advertisers.
- Discussed the chosen theme and how to visually convey it
- Discussed last year’s project and how to make this year’s even better
- Determined project timeframe
- Finalized theme photography choices
- Designed covers and banners for WLSTC webmaster to use for a “save-the-date” website“
- Banners and conference information posted to WLSTC website
Online Registration Program
- Early July, text for program sent to proofreader
- Mid-July, program text in its final edited form sent to me, minus straggler content (commonly, the more people submitting content, the more straggler content there is. Kris does wonders keeping this in check)
- Completed program conception and layout to date
- Finalization of content
- Approval of completed program
- Registration program posted to website
Conference Handout Booklet
- Late September, conference booklet text in its final edited form emailed to me, minus straggler content
- While I worked on the design and layout of the booklet, Kris had the difficult job of gathering straggler content and ads (Note to all: Our time equals your money. One of the easiest ways to keep your costs down is to meet deadlines.)
- Booklet completed and final approval given for print
- October 14: booklet in pre-press format sent to Badger Press, Fort Atkinson, WI
- Final product will be ready for an October 27-28 conference!
Looking for a highly professional and well-organized conference planner? Contact Kris Snyder!
Need vibrant, highly effective programs and promotional pieces for your next event? Contact me!