What’s FOSS? Something for Children’s Dental Month? Nope. But for small business marketing, it’s equally deserving of a February celebration.
FOSS is Free and Open-Source Software. It’s a cooperative approach to computer programming that offers freely licensed software for anyone to edit, modify or reuse—think WordPress and its total transformation of the internet. FOSS has also changed the economic landscape for small businesses; in fact, for many (like me!) it’s been the criterium for opening their doors.
How can FOSS benefit your business?
There are so many software options. Here are five to get you started. Best of all, they’re free!
- Want to set up a Live Chat on your website? HubSpot offers this and more to effectively market your product.
- Want to sell online? WooCommerce is to e-commerce as WordPress is to web design. By creating an online storefront, entrepreneurs can easily sell wares from their own websites.
- Need to swipe credit cards? Square is one of many point-of-sale (POS) options that records and processes payments from customers. What would farm market and show vendors be without POS software?
- Can’t meet in person? Zoom. Need I say more? Zoom has become a noun, a verb, a way of life. My favorite feature for business meetings is Share Your Screen.
- Are you a startup needing to start bookkeeping? Wave is a free accounting, invoicing, and receipt tracking software for small businesses.
What I’m Working On This Month
The Hispanic Resource Center of ProHealth works with families in Waukesha County, Wisconsin. This 6-page newsletter is part of its effort to provide reliable information on COVID and the medical care available to them. I’m proud to participate in the fight against COVID-19!
What I’m Tuned In To This Month
- Wisconsin 101: Friday Fish Fry: A must hear for this beloved tradition.
- Radical Woman Behind “Goodnight Moon”: Always loved the soothing simplicity of this children’s book, interesting read on the author.
- Quality of life, not just business, rejuvenates Midwest: Interesting read on community development.
- Do you have a Last Letter of Instruction? You should and so should your loved ones. Includes an interactive pdf.