I’m of the opinion that Wisconsin has the best selection of Oktoberfest beer and, admittedly, I’ve done my share of sampling since it hit the shelves two months ago. Here are a few of my favorites. To top it off, when the Oktoberfest comes out my husband and I get quite a thirst for our Octoberfest Brewery Tour. It’s truly our favorite time of year.
Even though our tour has become an annual getaway, this year’s arrangements are rather last minute. True, I usually begin planning the next before we’ve even finished the last. But sometimes life brings us detours. My beloved father died recently and our hearts just weren’t into the extensive trip I’d originally planned. Instead, we’re taking a few days in the comfort of familiar places.
Wisconsin celebrates the artistry of October like none other. It’s all about brilliant color, outdoor adventure and hearty festivals. Here’s our to-do list:
- Fermentation Fest: This year the Farm/Art DTour is back better than ever. With a sparkling lineup of artists, musicians and food carts, it can’t be missed! Not officially part of our brewery tour, we’re using it as a day-tripping intro.
- Fall Art Tour: Baraboo, Spring Green, Dodgeville and Mineral Point have developed into an inspiring art community and on this weekend it’s doors wide open! My favorite studios are those tucked inside repurposed, historical buildings and rugged, country barns.
- Driftless Cafe: Food, Sustenance, Love, as they say. My kind of place, especially since it gleans ingredients from local organic farmers.
- Trempealeau Hotel and Monarch Public House: We loved these locales four years ago and the area’s quiet simplicity is calling us back.
- Long Lake Canoe Trail: It would be divine to explore these waterways—think fall colors, migratory birds, and flat waters (this is a brewery tour don’t forget, so there’s a necessary emphasis on “flat waters”). Other possibilities are Perrot and Roche-A-Cri State Parks.
- Sand Creek Brewing Co: Before clicking into this company’s website, check out Google’s image of it’s building. I swoon!
- Wisconsin Cranberry Discovery Center: Wisconsin is the largest producer of cranberries, yet I know so little of this industry. Time to see how those Thanksgiving berries are grown!
- Knuth Brewing Company: Artisan beer and pizza by husband and wife entrepreneurs, perfect pairings.
Hot Off the Press
What’s Octoberfest Brewery Tour without some promo? I know you’re bubbling with anticipation and here it is…my 2018 poster!
Family and friends, if you’re in these areas, let’s get together and share a beer! Probst!