Ampersands are the funnest typographical character (even more than the letter A, which I also love). And because I’m using an ampersand in an upcoming project, I’ve been obsessing over them wherever I can find them.
- An ampersand a day, each a different style: 300 & 65 ampersands.
- Ampersand Shop has cool things for your home.
- Ampersand Art Supply is an artist’s candyshop.
- Ampersands evolved from the Latin letters E and T, for “et.” Here’s more history.
- In Elements of Typographic Style (the bible for anything typographic), Robert Bringhurst feels contemporary-styled ampersands are “for the most part uninspired, stolid pretzels.” He suggests using the more creative italic versions. Like I did above.
Such a bold, expressive character, yes?